2009-11-03

The Journey from Hell continues...

Friday started out in the way of the Thursday (if you read my previous post, you ought to be gasping right now).
I got up at 5:45 (I don't even have those numbers on my watch) to be able to take a shower and not-not-not
miss my train. Better thirty minutes too much time, than thirty seconds too little, I figured.

I skipped the supposedly awesome breakfast included in my expensive hotel stay (instead I spent 2 euro extra
on an "okay" cappuccio at the station). Afterwards, I localize my train on the departing screens and go look for
platform 16. OK, that was easy, and oh, look - my train is already in and boardable! Let's see now, where is
car 1...? Oh... at the far back (where I am) is car number... 9. That's quite a stiff morning walk when you're
tired as hell (again; consult last post if you don't understand why).

I get on the train and figure that at least for some short time I'll have the compartment for myself, so I can
unpack the things I need for the ride in my own pace, stove my stuff where I want it and so on. And then my
possible co-compartmentees will have to play my game instead of the other way around. Nice.

The clock ticks toward and past seven. Five past. Ten past. What's this now? Ah, there, the familiar jerk of
a train starting up. But, no.

Screechy message in the train's loudspeaker system (probably installed by Mussolini or at least in his days)
in a language I'm too tired to try and hear out the few words I might understand. I get up and look for someone
with the Tren-motherfreaking-Italia uniform to get some information on what's happening.

The conductor doesn't speak much English, but enough to let me know that it's "something wrong" with "the...
the... motor---wagon..." and that we will suffer "a small delay" - AN HOUR.

I just started laughing. Out loud. For real. I'm tired of getting mad at things not going my way. So I just laugh,
head back to my compartment and flip up my laptop. Batman and the Joker make good company. Any day preferred
over Trenitalia personell, at least.

75 minutes late I arrive in Florence and after just a few detours and a 1 km walk that became about 2,5-3 kms,
I arrived at the hostel. I've never been so happy to spot a couple of random federalists...!

(Then of course my room key didn't work and there are only classic hostel four-posters in the room and so on
and so on, but what the hell. I'm here and I'm gonna have a ball!)

1 kommentarer:

Anonymous Anonym sa...

bra start

2009-12-05 19:05  

Skicka en kommentar

Prenumerera på Kommentarer till inlägget [Atom]

<< Startsida